COTA - Club Race / Adv. Solo "It's not just the cars...It's the people!"
March 2-4, 2018 will be the 6th Annual "Carrera of the Americas" PCA Club Race and Driver's Education Event at the Circuit of the Americas (COTA) in Austin, TX.
Again, this year, in order to maximize track time for all, we will limit the event to only 2 Club Race groups and 2 Advance Solo-Only Driver Ed groups.
For Club Racers, Friday will consist of three practice sessions followed by practice starts and a fun race. On Saturday each Race Group will have two sprint races. And, there will be a 60 minute Enduro on Sunday.
We hope you will plan on joining us! Plan to look for upcoming news about this event on this website.
Advanced Solo Driver Education
The next Porsche Club of America ("PCA") Driver Ed Event at Circuit of the Americas will be March 2-4, 2018. Unlike our "Schnell Fest" D.E. events, this D.E. will be for Advanced Solo Drivers only – Blue Solo, Yellow and White Group Drivers. It will be held in conjunction with the PCA "Carrera of the Americas" Porsche Club Race that will take place at COTA March 2-4. A unique aspect of this D.E. is your ability to watch the Porsche Club Racers in-between your own on-track sessions!
This PCA Driver Education event will be a joint presentation of the Hill Country, Lone Star and Maverick Regions – PCA. These D.E. events are not just for Porsche. Drivers of every make are invited to participate, and membership in PCA is not necessary. And, as always, we extend a special invitation to our good friends in the Houston, Tejas and Lone Star Chapters of the BMW-CCA.
Please plan on joining us in Austin March 2-4 for this PCA Advanced Solo-Only Driver Education Event at Circuit of the Americas! If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. or the Event Registrar email@example.com. Thanks!
Based on your feedback we're making some changes to this event:
- NEW Limited run group size - Run groups will be limited to 50 cars. If you are the 51st (or later) person to register and you're in a run group that is full you will be wait-listed and may not make it into the event. Note: you must both register for the D.E. AND PAY to maximize the likelihood that you will make it into the event. If you only register but do not pay, another driver who registers and pays after you will be ahead of you in the "que."
- NEW We're serious about ending "trains." We'll require that all cars have numbers on their hood, doors and rear so that cars leading trains can be more easily identified. We'll also have post run group debrief sessions to discuss and resolve any issues we see on track. These may be purchased through ClubReg HERE.
- NEW Garage pricing – There will be a limited number of garage spots available for this weekend on a first-come-first-served basis. Note you must both register for a garage AND PAY FOR THE GARAGE AT THE TIME OF REGISTRATION. We will only be renting ¼ garage spots for $375; limit of a maximum of four ¼ garage spots per customer. Here are things you'll need to know about the March 2-4 Advanced Solo-Only D.E. at COTA:
- Registration Fee: Registration fee is $945 for the three day weekend. If you compare this to the registration fees charged by other groups it is a remarkable value! One day or two-day registrations are not available.
- Instruction: This is not an instructed D.E. event. However, there will be a few instructors available upon request.
- Helmets and Clothing: All car occupants must wear a Snell "K" "M" or "SA" approved helmet, which has the current available Snell rating (Snell 2015) or the one previous Snell rating (Snell 2010). Snell 2005 helmets have expired and may not be used. Other helmets are acceptable if they are approved for PCA Club Racing. Long pants are required. Natural fibers are required. Footwear must be enclosed, non-slip, with a relatively smooth sole. Hiking type deep lugged soles are not acceptable.
- Car Tech Inspection: In order to participate your car must have a technical inspection not more than 30 days prior to the event. The car owner must certify that the car is safe to run on the track and that the car has been inspected by a dealer or other reputable automobile repair facility. Both a representative of the inspecting dealer/repair shop and the owner must complete THIS FORM .
- Equal Restraints: All vehicles must be equipped with a properly installed lap and shoulder restraint system. Both the student and the instructor shall have the same restraint system. So, if only the driver's seat is equipped with a 5 or 6 point harness, then both the driver and the instructor will use the 3 point factory lap and shoulder restraint system.
- Cabriolet/Convertible Cars with factory installed rollover protection: Any make of car delivered with factory installed roll over protection meets the minimum standards for PCA DE events. (For example, Boxsters have factory installed roll over protection that meets this requirement and can be drive in PCA D.E. events). In these cars we recommend the soft-top be in the up position or the hard top installed. If the soft top is in the down position, an arm restraint system* must be used. An SFI and/or FIA approved arm restraint system is required.
- Cabriolet/Convertible Cars without factory installed rollover protection: If a car does not have factory installed roll over protection, a roll bar or roll cage must be installed, which meets the "broomstick" rule (the driver's helmeted head is below a bar placed on top of the roll bar and windshield). Design, installation and materials of roll bars or cages and their installation must meet PCA Club Racing specifications, contained in Appendix A-Roll Cage Specifications of the PCA Club Racing Rules. All targa tops must be installed unless there is additional roll over protection. All sunroofs must be in the closed position. The windshield alone is not considered to be factory roll over protection.
- Track Walk: Subject to COTA approval and track availability, Track Walk hosted by Dave Scott of Racecoach.net will be held on Thursday March 1st from 3:30 – 5:00 p.m. Meet at Garage 1. Bring SUV's, large vehicles so we minimize the number of vehicles required to get a large group of people around the track.
- Chalk Talk: Subject to COTA approval, Chalk Talk presented by Dave Scott of Racecoach.net will be held immediately after the Track Walk in the "Press Room" next door to COTA Café in the Media Center Building on Thursday March 1st from 5:15 – 6:30 p.m.
- Classes: Throughout the weekend both D.E. run groups will have classes in the Media Center Press Room. Those of you who have attended our Schnell Fest instructed D.E.'s know how informative and fun the classes are!
- Parade Laps: At Noon on Saturday March 3 and again on Sunday March 4 we will do paced parade laps for charity. Folks wishing to participate in the parade laps should go to the grid at Noon. A nominal donation is required which will be shared equally among the sponsoring clubs' charities. No passing is allowed, and speeds will be paced, but you can drive your family car and your family on the racing surface of COTA!
- Food: All three days of the weekend the "COTA Cafe" will be open from 11:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. serving hot lunches and sandwiches. We will also have the Red Fin food truck serving breakfast and lunch options all three days of the weekend.
- Bottled water: We will have coolers of bottled water placed strategically around the paddock throughout the weekend. We encourage you to stay hydrated!!!!
- Hospitality Suite: We will have one of the large COTA second floor Hospitality Rooms available for use throughout the weekend. This is a comfortable airconditioned/heated space where family members can relax while you are driving. It also is a good spot to watch cars on the main straight heading to Turn 1, and cars coming through the carousel.
- Cancellation policy: Cancellations received by Noon Central Time on Thursday February 15th will receive a full refund. Persons who cancel later than that deadline will receive a refund only if we are able to fill your spot with another driver by Noon Central Time on February 25. No exceptions. Registration will close on February 25rd. Registrations received between February 15th and February 25 are subject to the above policy!