Carrera of the Americas Weekend!
Advanced Solo HPDE
The next Porsche Club of America (PCA) Driver Ed Event at Circuit of the Americas will be March 29-31, 2019. Unlike our "Schnell Fest" D.E. events, this D.E. will be for Advanced Solo Drivers only – Experienced Blue Solo, Yellow, White and Red Group Drivers and their equivalents in other driving organizations. It will be held in conjunction with the PCA "Carrera of the Americas" Porsche Club Race that will take place at COTA that weekend. A unique aspect of this D.E. is your ability to watch the Porsche Club Racers in-between your own on-track sessions!
Please plan on joining us in Austin March 29-31, 2019 for this PCA Advanced Solo-Only Driver Education Event at Circuit of the Americas! If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. or the Event Registrar email@example.com. Thanks!
Based on your feedback we're making some changes to this event:
- NEW Limited run group size - Run groups will be limited to 50 cars. If you are the 51st (or later) person to register and you're in a run group that is full you will be wait-listed and may not make it into the event. Note: you must both register for the D.E. AND PAY to maximize the likelihood that you will make it into the event. If you only register but do not pay, another driver who registers and pays after you will be ahead of you in the "que."
- NEW We're serious about ending "trains." We'll require that all cars have numbers on their hood, doors and rear so that cars leading trains can be more easily identified. We'll also have post run group debrief sessions to discuss and resolve any issues we see on track. These may be purchased through ClubReg HERE.
- NEW Garage pricing – There will be a limited number of garage spots available for this weekend on a first-come-first-served basis. Note you must both register for a garage AND PAY FOR THE GARAGE AT THE TIME OF REGISTRATION. We will only be renting ¼ garage spots for $375; limit of a maximum of four ¼ garage spots per customer.
- Registration will open at Noon Central Time on Monday February 11th.
- Registration Fee: Registration fee is $875 for the three day weekend. If you compare this to the registration fees charged by other groups it is a remarkable value! One day or two-day registrations are not available.
- Schedule: A tentative schedule will be posted shortly on this event website.
- Parking: Staging on COTA BLVD starts at 6:30am Thursday, March 28, 2019 (please utilize various lots off of COTA Blvd before then). (Group 1) Big rigs, toter rigs, RVs with trailers, and all designated garage support rigs: line up in the curb-side northbound lane beginning 150' south of the tunnel 2 guard shack. (Group 2) All other tow vehicles with trailers, line up in the 2nd lane from the curb, also northbound. (Group 3) All track cars being driven in line up in the southbound curbside lane starting 150' north of the tunnel 2 guard shack. Load-in will begin at Noon with Group 1, then Group 2, followed by Group 3. Please make your way to the guard shack to sign the COTA waiver and get wristbands (all persons must have wristbands before entering the campus). Please do this BEFORE your group starts load-in. The two center lanes must remain open at all times for thru-traffic. Do not block driveways or fire lanes. We have to "stage" parking at COTA in order to use the Main Paddock space most efficiently. This means that big rigs that need to be close to a particular Formula 1 Garage must be parked first so that they can access their assigned parking spot before the paddock fills up with cars. Don't be upset if a vehicle that arrives after you is allowed to park before you do - it's a function of efficiently filling up the available paddock space!
- Garages: Tim Strehl (firstname.lastname@example.org) is in charge of garage assignments for this event. Approximately 10 days prior to the event an email will be sent to all drivers who received garages. It will ask for their preferences concerning persons you would like to be garaged with, needs you may have for parking support vehicles, etc. The email message will request a response within 48 hours. Based on those timely responses we will assign drivers to garages in accordance with their preferences to the extent possible. Drivers who do not respond within 48 hours will be assigned to garages randomly. Approximately 5 days before the event a list of garage assignments will be sent to all drivers who rented garages.
- Instruction: This is not an instructed D.E. event. However, there will be a few instructors available upon request.
- Helmets and Clothing: All car occupants must wear a Snell "K" "M" or "SA" approved helmet, which has the current available Snell rating (Snell 2015) or the one previous Snell rating (Snell 2010). Snell 2005 helmets have expired and may not be used. Other helmets are acceptable if they are approved for PCA Club Racing. Long pants are required. Natural fibers are required. Footwear must be enclosed, non-slip, with a relatively smooth sole. Hiking type deep lugged soles are not acceptable.
- Car Tech Inspection: In order to participate your car must have a technical inspection not more than 30 days prior to the event. The car owner must certify that the car is safe to run on the track and that the car has been inspected by a dealer or other reputable automobile repair facility. Both a representative of the inspecting dealer/repair shop and the owner must complete THIS FORM .
- Equal Restraints: All vehicles must be equipped with a properly installed lap and shoulder restraint system. Both the student and the instructor shall have the same restraint system. So, if only the driver's seat is equipped with a 5 or 6 point harness, then both the driver and the instructor will use the 3 point factory lap and shoulder restraint system.
- Cabriolet/Convertible Cars with factory installed rollover protection: Any make of car delivered with factory installed roll over protection meets the minimum standards for PCA DE events. (For example, Boxsters have factory installed roll over protection that meets this requirement and can be drive in PCA D.E. events). In these cars we recommend the soft-top be in the up position or the hard top installed. If the soft top is in the down position, an arm restraint system* must be used. An SFI and/or FIA approved arm restraint system is required.
- Cabriolet/Convertible Cars without factory installed rollover protection: If a car does not have factory installed roll over protection, a roll bar or roll cage must be installed, which meets the "broomstick" rule (the driver's helmeted head is below a bar placed on top of the roll bar and windshield). Design, installation and materials of roll bars or cages and their installation must meet PCA Club Racing specifications, contained in Appendix A-Roll Cage Specifications of the PCA Club Racing Rules. All targa tops must be installed unless there is additional roll over protection. All sunroofs must be in the closed position. The windshield alone is not considered to be factory roll over protection.
- Track Walk: More...
- Chalk Talk: More...
- Classes: Throughout the weekend both D.E. run groups will have classes in the Media Center Press Room. Those of you who have attended our Schnell Fest instructed D.E.'s know how informative and fun the classes are!
- Parade Laps: At Noon on Saturday March 30 and again on Sunday March 31 we will do paced parade laps for charity. Folks wishing to participate in the parade laps should go to the grid at Noon. A nominal donation is required which will be shared equally among the sponsoring clubs' charities. No passing is allowed, and speeds will be paced, but you can drive your family car and your family on the racing surface of COTA!
- Food: All three days of the weekend the "COTA Cafe" will be open from 11:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. serving hot lunches and sandwiches. We will also have the Red Fin food truck serving breakfast and lunch options all three days of the weekend.
- Bottled water: More...
- Hospitality Suite: More...
- Cancellation policy: Cancellations received by Noon Central Time on Thursday March 14th will receive a full refund. Persons who cancel later than that deadline will receive a refund only if we are able to fill your spot with another driver by Noon Central Time on March 22nd. No exceptions. Registration will close on March 22nd. Registrations received between March 14th and March 22nd are subject to the above policy!